Thursday 7 February 2013

Draft Photo Shoot 1

These are images from my draft photo shoot with my artist 'Kat Merry'. When requesting for her to feature in my magazine I asked her to pick clothes which would fit in with the styles of Hayley Williams, Taylor Momsen, P!nk and Avril Lavigne (all well known females in the rock genre). I also asked for the t-shirt not to be light due to her pale complexion and her fairly light hair. I also asked for her not to wear an overly dark t-shirt either, i.e. black. This was due to her being pale and fair haired, meaning that she would have looked completely washed out if she wore something of that sort. Also, I asked for her to not wear a dress or skirt as it would not fit in with the conventions of a female within the rock genre. However, I also asked for her to not wear jeans unless they were ripped as they would not fit in with what I wanted to do with her within the images. Therefore she wore shorts with grey tights. I am very pleased with the clothes that she decided to wear as they worked well by contrasting against the light back drops making her stand out even more. I also asked if she could have her hair natural (As I previously knew that her hair was wavy) and back combed as she has relatively thin hair. After a while though, her hair flattened, however this turned out to work with my images as it looked good and she didn't look as intimidating as before. I also asked for her to have relatively dark eyes as I wanted them to stand out, and also to put red lip stick on as it would make her expressions with her mouth clearer as I had planned for her to be smiling or doing expressions with her mouth open prior to asking her. I also asked for her to wear her plugs (ear stretchers) so that she would again fit in with the conventions of the music genre. I also asked her to paint her nails black as it would again fit in with the conventions of the music genre. I also asked her to wear minimalist jewellery as it would not have looked right if she were to wear lots of jewellery. Also, she wore her 'Reading Festival' wristband
which looked good on my images as that is the kind of festival that her music would be featured at. I also asked my artist to wear shoes which would contrast against the rest of her outfit in case I were to take any long shot images, which I did end up doing. I also asked for her to wear vans in particular as artists such as her have appeared at 'Vans Warped Tour'. I also told her to pull faces which could have an intimidating look towards her, but also images which could make her look like she is friendly as she is having a laugh, such as the image above. However, I need to take more images to get the right facial expression. I chose the locations of my images mianly because of the run down landscape within my college. However, I want to take more images with different backgrounds as I
think that for the DPS that would be good and effective. However, I also think that a darkened background image would be good for the cover, although it may not conform to the norm of a rock/metal genre music magazine. For all of the images I asked my artist to pull faces which
would make her look kind, but also someone who is new but belongs in the music genre and in this magazine. I also asked her to have a laugh and mess around, but that did not happen according to plan, so hopefully when she gets put with my other artist in the
 next photo shoot, she shall be more comfortable with him and they shall be able to mess around together. The inspiration for that has come from an issue of Kerrang! where they had Josh Franceschi (of YOU ME AT SIX) and Oli Sykes (of BRING ME THE HORIZON) where they ended up giving eachother piggy backs and having a laugh, and then their relationship and the banter was also shown through the article aswell.



No comments:

Post a Comment