Thursday 18 April 2013

Question Five, Final!

How did you attract/address your audience?

 I attracted my audience by the register of the writing within my magazine. I did this by the tone in which I wrote the content details and the article. I used a non-sophisticated register within my article which would mirror the register that Kerrang! and RockSound use, I showed this through the use of the sentence ‘The intimate gig’ uses an informal noun which would not be relevant in a higher end magazine. This is a common feature of this genre of magazine because the target audience want a friendly and almost conversational review. The register which is not said in a serious tone shows that they have a laugh, whether it was intended or not. This attracts the audience as they always look for articles which will entertain them as well as inform them.
In the contents I used a friendly register where it would appeal to a potential reader having a quick glance through the magazine. I used a tone where it would replicate a friend telling someone about what they had heard or seen. It was supposed to be like the ‘latest gossip’ within the Metal or Rock genre. ‘Until three quarters through breaking point where a five man pit started’ is an example where I wanted it to be something where it would be the next best thing if you weren’t able to be there.
I also used taboo language to enforce the genre of music which I was representing in the magazine (‘Call a fucking ambulance’). This would have attracted my audience as it would have been edgy and therefore connoting the title of the magazine being ‘Explicit’. Explicit is seen as something that would attract a younger audience as an older potential reader would question the name ‘explicit’ because of the negative connotations. However, the younger potential readers would think of the positive connotations as they would think that it would reveal all about everything to do with the music genre. This would also make them feel more comfortable with the articles as the register would have been lowered due to the taboo language.
I also attracted my audience through the clothes that my artists were wearing. This is linked to them wearing their own clothes which would feature within the genre that I am doing. People outside the genre would probably not like the clothes that they were wearing, therefore attracting the audience to feel like they have a connection with the artists featured within the magazine as they would have a similar style. The ‘normal’ clothing that they are wearing also would attract the audience as it would make them think that the artists are more down to earth and are not too bothered about what they are wearing, or what they look like, they just want to focus on their music. This would influence the reader to read the magazine as they know that the artists featured would be genuine.
The colours that I used would normally feature in a music magazine within my genre. This would therefore attract my audience as it is what they would be used too. Also, the fact that the target audience is both male and female would make the colour scheme more influential on whether or not someone would buy the magazine. This is due to the unisex colours of red and blue used throughout. Also, due to the colours being bright, this would also attract the audience as they would look for bright colours. However, this is contrasted through the dark image being used. The dark image would attract the audience as it would add to the effect of the Rock/Metal genre featured within the magazine. This is due to the stereotype of the magazine to be ‘dark, dull and depressing’.
The price of the magazine would also attract the audience as it would be relatively cheap compared to some monthly magazines. Also, due to the amount of pages within (approximately 150 pages) it would be very good value for money. The page number would also attract the audience as a magazine such as Kerrang! only has approximately 70 pages within the magazine making it more suitable for more reviews and information within the magazine, my audience would really like this. Therefore it would attract them to buy the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment